Friday 4 November 2016

Skippy Dies



Okay, what the fuck did I just read? 

A tragedy? 
A comedy?
A biography?

What was it? 

This book explores the concept of tragicomedy in ways I didn't know were possible. Seriously though, it was funny. But, that doesn't mean completely positive reviews here guys. 

I found this book whilst exploring the Man Booker Prize nominees from previous years. This was from 2010. 

Characters:

Okay, so Skippy was the best character and that's only because he died from eating doughnuts in a competition. A doughnut eating competition killed him. Best. Death. Ever. 

Themes:

Dark comedy? Would you call that a theme or not? Well, I do anyway and it was done brilliantly. Some aspects of it, I didn't know whether I was supposed to be laughing at - but it was a funny concept with a not-so-funny sense of humour to it. Very odd. 

Storyline:

Some parts of the story had compelling insight. Especially the beginning - that was an amazing opening for a novel. I have to say - The Irish know their novels!

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: Skippy was a brilliant construction and a great example of the slightly unconventional protagonist that messes with the plot in a psychedelic manner. This sounds like "At Swim-Two-Birds" 

2/3 for themes: Could've done a little more to get that 100%. 

100% for storyline: That beginning was unbeatable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment